How to Clean a Copper Weathervane
- How easy is it to access your weathervane?
- Will you be taking your weathervane down to clean it, or cleaning it in place?
- How large is your weathervane? (How much cleaning product will you need?)
- Vinegar and salt - Plain table salt and vinegar are an effective combination for removing oxidation from copper. Simply pour the vinegar and salt over your weathervane and rub it it. Continue rubbing to remove any tarnish and grime, then rinse off and polish the weathervane with a clean, dry, soft cloth. If you are cleaning an assembled weathervane, this method isn’t as effective, as it will be difficult to apply the vinegar and salt evenly.
- Lemons - Simply cut a lemon in half, then rub the lemon over tarnished areas until clean. Rinse the copper and polish with a clean cloth. This method is most effective for small garden weathervanes, as it can require a large number of lemons.
- Lemon and salt - You can use fresh lemons or bottled lemon juice for this method. Simply combine the salt and lemon juice to form a paste, then apply the paste to your copper weathervane with a soft cloth. Rinse with warm water and polish. This method is effective for cleaning assembled weathervanes as the paste assures uniform cleaning.
- Salt, vinegar, and flour - Add 1 tablespoon of salt to 1 cup of white vinegar, then gradually add flour until a paste forms. Apply the paste to the copper and let sit for 15 minutes to one hour, then rinse with warm water and polish. This works well for assembled, easily-accessed weathervanes, since you will be letting the paste sit and returning later to wash it off.
- Ketchup - Believe it or not, ketchup is one of the most effective ways to remove oxidation from copper. Simply apply the ketchup to the weathervane so that it forms a light to moderate film, let it sit for a few minutes, then rub vigorously with a non-scratch pad and rinse clean. The only downside to this method is the mess of the ketchup; it is best done on dismantled weathervanes, as you don’t want to have to rinse ketchup off your roof.
Looking to purchase a copper weathervane? Call Valley Forge Cupolas and Weathervanes today at 866-400-1776.